Goals & A Personal Mission Statement
If you have a list of goals you want to achieve for your personal, and perhaps professional, success and happiness, the question remains how to go about it.
How do you make those plans happen?
Drafting a personal mission statement could be an important (first) step.
Here’s a dictionary definition of mission: “Purpose, reason for being; an inner calling to perform an activity or a service.”
A mission statement is a brief and focused statement of purpose of the direction you want your goals to take you.
Using a road map as an analogy, the mission statement is the highway you choose to take to get you from where you are to where you want to be.
It includes the values with which you make your journey.
Goals are the mile markers along the road to your destination.
The goals you choose and decisions you make both now and in the future should be based on your mission statement.
The Three Key Properties Your Mission Statement
When the mission statement is known, understood, accepted and communicated, positive things happen, and energy and effort are no longer wasted.
With it, you will always know whether you are headed in the right direction.
Your mission statement will be unlike anyone else’s.
It will be customized to your unique talents and abilities.
In simplest terms, a mission is your primary reason for existence, and vision is what you want to be.
There are three key properties your mission statement must include:
1. Unique—It must be yours and not anybody else’s
2. Stimulating—It must stir you into action
3. Motivating—It must personally inspire you
Here’s The Basic Structure Of A Mission Statement:
To will/shall use my………………………………(skills, talents)
A mission statement should be no more than one sentence – usually twenty-five words or less -should be easily understood, and be able to be recited by memory.
If you can write one that is short, clear and resonates with your values, then you will have a stimulating mission statement.
Ask the following questions to help find your mission in life.
- What would you like your contribution to be to society?
- What role do you play to achieve your purpose?
- What personal strengths can you add to the world?
- How would you like to be remembered after you died
Here Are Some Personal Mission Statement Examples.
Notice the underlying values, not necessarily spelled out, in these mission statements:
- To use my talents as a mother to coach my children through the early years of their lives so they can look back on happy, carefree childhoods.
- To use my talents as a writer to write moralistic plays that are entertaining or artistically pleasing so I’ll reach a large audience with my message.
- To create beautiful paintings so others are inspired by and can enjoy them.
- To use my knowledge and experience as a therapist to aid the regional depression support group so that people with depression can be helped.
- To use my skills as an architect create magnificent buildings for social gatherings so people can celebrate in maximum comfort.
- To use my resources as a manager to support others in their work so that the team gets the best results.
- I use my talents and skills as a communicator to publish books and audio with the aim to help people live healthy and happy lives.
Now write your mission statement. Decide what it is you want, and make it clear and precise. This is precisely the purpose of your mission statement. Let this be a labor of love! Pour your heart, mind, and soul into it, and if this is your first take on writing a mission statement, don’t agonize over it. Just get something down. If it doesn’t feel right, you can easily change it until it does or come back to it later.
It’s useful to review your mission statement every six months. You can add to or alter your mission statement as needed. Place a copy of your mission statement where you can see it daily. It is there to motivate you.
Walt Disney Company’s Mission Statement and Vision
The Walt Disney Company is an example of a business that continues to be popular almost one hundred years after its beginning.
Its mission statement and vision are behind this giant’s success.